Thursday, May 13, 2010

Homeward Bound – by Ellen


We spent our last night trying to squash the things we wanted to bring home into our bags – which I’m sure have shrunk. Attaching a ‘please give me a home’ note to the things we couldn’t bring with us, we set off at dawn.

As if helping us with the acclimatization process, the weather presented us with torrential, blinding rain and a drop in temperature to 11ºC. We did the drive to Jo’burg in good time, and didn’t get lost at all! Not even round the tangle of fly-overs and road works near the airport. Perhaps in their rush to get the roads in place in time for the World Cup, they’d put a few of the road signs up in the wrong order:

Jo’burg 53km
2 kms later
Jo’burg 40km
2 kms later
Jo’burg 38 km
2 kms later
Jo’burg 40km

The Icelandic volcano hadn’t managed to spew its ash far enough into Europe to stop us flying, so we were soon speeding home.

At the airport we’d bought a cuddy elephant for Josh and Renee’s highly anticipated and newly arrived daughter, Maya. I decided I wanted to take a photo of the ellie on the plane, and as I sat there with it on my lap (ok, I might have been cuddling it – it’s sooooooo soft) an air stewardess came up and presented me with a kiddies activity pack. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Oh yes please, can I have a beer with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment